Puzzle #1

Scene involving Mama and Walter discussing the importance of money:

Walter: Standing in the kitchen with a rundown, boiling look. Mama... you just don't understand. I'm not quite sure what you don't understand, but whatever it is you just simply don't get. Everyday, I wake up and all I do in this life of mine is serve other people. These people that I work for live in big, fancy houses and wear nothing but smiles upon their faces. Tell me, what do I get? Nothing. "Money is life" (Hansberry 74) Mama, can't you see? Money is what makes you happy. Money is what makes you successful. God, I don't think I could emphasize the statement even more; "Money is life[!]" (Hansberry 74). It's not like I'm asking for pink elephants or a flying Pegasus. I'm asking for a life -- full of happiness and love. No wonder I went off and spent all that money to be put into the liquor store. It was my only chance to re-route my life, your life, all of our lives!

Mama: Sitting at the kitchen counter looking at her son in disbelief and disappointment. Enough of the rhetoric based questions, Walter Lee. The fact that your selfish mind thinks money will bring you things is absurd: happiness, success, and pure life. I had high expectations for you, son. I expected you to turn out to be the man your father was because once upon a time you looked up to him just like Travis looks up to you. Not everyone lives their desired life, Walter Lee. What we don't have can't hold us back from what we can achieve. Today, on this very day, I pray to my lord and savior Jesus Christ that you find some sense inside that boggling head of yours.

Walter: But Mama...

Mama: Enough, Walter Lee! Enough.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Significance of the Title: The Death of a Salesman

1st Semester Reflection

Waiting